Returned Checks

Returned checks, also known as bounced checks, are paper or electronic checks (e-checks) that a bank will not honor. Typically, banks return checks because an account does not have enough money in it to cover the check. 

If a bank returns a check that you wrote to ORS, you have to work quickly to correct the problem. To do that, send a payment along with the Replacement of Returned Check form you should have received in the mail. 

If you do not have this form or would like to discuss how to repay, contact the ORS Accounting Unit at 801-536-8333, Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Mountain Time. 

A very important note: if you do not include the Replacement of Returned Check form with your payment or talk to the ORS Accounting Unit, you may not get the credit you need for replacing the returned check.

What Happens to When a Returned Checks Is Not Resolved

If you do not resolve your returned check, ORS may ask the Office of State Debt Collection (OSDC) to collect the amount owed. OSDC would add a $20.00 collection fee as well. 

The Office of the Attorney General could also take legal action.

Not resolving your returned check may also lead us to hold any later payments made by check. The hold could last up to 21 days while we wait for the bank to clear your check.