Recovery Services Logo

Office of Recovery Services

Review and Adjustment of Support Amounts
Frequently Asked Questions

Review and Adjustment of Support Amounts

Under Federal and State law, you have the right to request a review of your child support order. A private attorney can assist you with the review or the Office of Recovery Services/Child Support Services (ORS/CSS) can conduct a review. The review may result in a change to the child support amount. If the amount changes, it may go up or it may go down.

If you have an open child support case with ORS, you may request ORS to review your child support order. The request for a review must be in writing. If you do not have an open child support case with ORS, you will need to apply for child support services prior to requesting a review.


If you have an open child support case with ORS, upon written request from either parent, ORS will ask for certain documents that are needed to complete the request for review. These documents include (at a minimum) a completed Financial Statement, verification of each parent's yearly gross income, and a copy of the Findings of Fact for Judicial orders. Additional information may be needed on a case-by-case basis.

After receiving all of the necessary information, ORS will review your order to decide if the amount of child support needs to be changed and will request that the child support award be modified if:

1. the order is at least 3 years old and the new award for either parent is at least 10% higher or lower than the current award;

2. the order is less than 3 years old and you provide proof that a substantial change in circumstances has occurred that is not temporary (less than 12 months); and the new award for either parent is at least 15% higher or lower than the current award; or,

3. your order does not require a parent to have insurance for medical expenses for the child(ren). ORS may request that the order be modified to require a parent to get insurance, if it is available at a reasonable cost.

ORS will not adjust your order:

  1. if the youngest child will be 18 years old within a year;
  2. if either parent cannot be located;
  3. if either parent is incarcerated; or,
  4. for other issues, such as visitation or custody.

Due to provisions in your existing order(s), there may be additional reasons that ORS cannot adjust your child support amount.

ORS may be assisted by attorneys from the Utah Attorney General's Office. They are the State's attorneys. They represent the State and are not personal attorneys for either parent.

ORS may be assisted by child support agencies in other states depending on where the original support order was issued and where the parents and child(ren) currently reside.

If you request a review and later want to stop the review, we must receive a written request from both parents to stop the review.

By completing the appropriate pre-review worksheets, you will have a general idea how much your child support will go up or down.


To calculate support amounts, you will need to use the appropriate worksheets and tables. The worksheets are intended only as a guideline for estimating child support. Final determination of the support award may only be made through judicial or administrative findings.

ORS is unable to help you complete these forms; however, an automated Child Support Calculator is available for your use (link below). If you have any questions or need help in completing the forms, you may wish to contact a private attorney. The laws governing child support can be found in Utah Code Annotated 78-45-1 through 78-45-4.21.

Child Support Calculator - Automatically calculates child support amounts and completes the appropriate worksheets based on the income amounts entered on the form.