Recovery Services Logo

Office of Recovery Services

Calculate Child Support Amounts

How to Request a Review and Links to Forms to Compute Support Amounts?

Under Federal and State law, you have the right to ask the Office of Recovery Services (ORS) to review your child support order. The review may result in a change to the child support amount. If the amount changes, it may go up or it may go down.

By completing the appropriate pre-review worksheets, you will have a general idea how much your child support will go up or down.

ORS is unable to help you complete these pre-review forms. If you have questions or need help in completing the forms, you may wish to contact a private attorney. The laws governing child support can be found in Utah Code Annotated 78-45-1 through 78-45-7.21.


Upon written request, ORS will review your order to decide if that amount of child support needs to be changed. ORS will request that the child support award be modified if:

  1. the new award is at least 10% higheror lower than the current award; and
  2. the order is at least 3 years old; or,
  3. if it has been less than 3 years since the order was issued, modified, or reviewed and you provide proof that a substantial change in circumstances has occurred; and
  4. the new award is at least 15% higher or lower than the current award.

ORS will not adjust your order:

  1. if the youngest child will be 18 years old within one year;
  2. if the non-requsting parent cannot be located; or
  3. for other issues, such as visitation or custody.

If your order does not require a parent to have insurance for medical expenses for the child(ren), ORS may request that the order be modified to require a parent to get insurance, if it is available at a reasonable cost.

ORS may be assisted by attorneys from the Utah Attorney General's Office. They are the State's attorneys. They represent the State and are not personal attorneys for either parent.

Utah law requires the use of both parents' incomes to determine a child support amount. The income the support is based upon is limited to the equivalent of one full-time job. Generally, overtime and additional part-time jobs are not included. Case assistance, Supplemental Security Income (SSI), and Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI), are not considered as income. Pensions, Social Security Benefits, Workman's Compensation, and Disability Insurance benefits are considered income.

Once ORS receives a written request to review your order and the case qualifies for a review, both parents will receive a Financial Statement to complete and return. Along with the completed statement, you will also be required to provide verification of your yearly gross income.

If you request a review and later want to stop the review, we must receive a written request from both parents to stop the review.

To estimate support amounts, you may use the Child Support Calculator on this site.

Child Support Calculator - Automatically calculates child support amounts provided income amounts are accurate.