Recovery Services Logo

Office of Recovery Services

What to do when your Child is Placed in State Care - Parents' Procedures

After your child is placed in the care and/or custody of the state, call the Office of Recovery Services/Children in Care (ORS/CIC) bureau. Call 801-536-8770.

The ORS/CIC operator will transfer you to an intake agent to complete a call-in referral. The intake agent will ask you for the following information:

The intake agent will use the information provided during the call-in referral to open the case file. Married parents will have one case and a combined support obligation, and divorced parents will have separate cases and obligations.

If you are currently ordered to pay support for the child in care, ORS/CIC will begin enforcing the amount stated in the existing support order and determine whether a review of the support obligation should be conducted.

The mailing address to the ORS/CIC bureau is:

Office of Recovery Services
P.O. Box 45011
Salt Lake City, UT 84145-0011
or send an email.

For questions about Child support policy or federal or state law governing child support (not related to a specific case), send an email.

Please keep in mind that in most instances, all requests for case specific informaiton must be handled in accordance with the Government Records Access Management Act.